The idea of recording these 45′s started just after I moved the turntables over to my friend Josh’s house to be put to better use. This give me reason to visit with him once a week and play all his cool records. Not too soon after a package of old 45′s from Jamaica arrived that Josh had been expecting and thus began a weekly habit of playing reggae/rocksteady records late into the night.
Wrapped in what appears to be sheets of Jamaican phone-book pages glued together at the edges and cut out centers, some of these records have labels and some don’t. The blank white lables are sometimes the coolest songs and it is a real sensory experience to watch it spin around under the needle and reveal what lives down in those tiny grooves. I wanted to get these into MP3 form and share with ya’ll.
These are the old original 45’s recorded by the legends of Rock Steady and Reggae. ENJOY.
This playlist is simply random – it’s just how I pulled them from the box.
(cover photo: Phyllis Dilion)
- I Roy – Shock Attack
- Laurel Aitken – Life
- Carl Dawkins – Satisfaction
- Heptones – Why did you leave me?
- Phyllis Dilion – Stay Away
- Harry J Allstars – No More Heartaches (b side)
- Harry J Allstars – No More Heartaches
- The Silvertones – Smile
- The Wailers – Rude Boy
- The Skatalites – trip to mars (b side unknown)
- The Silvertones – True Confessions
- Eythiopians – You Are The One
- (unknown) – instrumental
- Eythiopians – Train to Skaville